Tuesday, March 3

Technology is dead

Okay, stop staring at your iPods and cell phones. In general technology is alive. But in the employment market, it is dead now.

Remember the dot.com bubble, and all the wonderful academic programmes pushing IT-related employment to young hopefuls deciding what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives? Yeah, that technology is dead. Granted, I never did anything with my IT degree but even if I wanted to "fall back" on it, I wouldn't have a chance now. America does not love IT anymore.

America loves healthcare. That's right, I said it.


I'm not talking about doctors. They have been around a long time. America loves healthcare so much now that they have college programmes to teach you how to operate medical billing applications! Yes, you read right again. These entry-level, high school graduate jobs now require certificates. And along with all the other healthcare related employment out there (they can't seem to hire enough nurses, medical assistants, etc.), I wonder if my IT degree is as 1967 as bell bottom jeans and hippie headgear.

(I realise that, like fashion, many things have cycles of popularity again).

I just don't have time to wait for IT to be hip again. I can't be job hunting for 20 years. Who is going to pay my rent? Who is going to pay my Amex bill? If you need more proof that technology is dead, look at Bill Gates -- even he is not bothered with technology anymore. He is busy spending the money technology made him on; guess what; medical aid and healthcare programmes for third world countries. I can't believe that Bill Gates is more on trend than I am when it comes to employment! (Well, it looks like he always has been).

Jesus, just give me a job!

p/s: But more proof that old things will come back in style again:
This recent January authorities seized the first distribution-sized package of "processed DMT" in New Jersey and warned that the hallucinogenic drug once popular in the '60s could be making a comeback.

Hah!

No comments: