Tuesday, February 17

Sofa So Gloss

It is federal income tax provision season now in the office and we've been working long hours; they even feed us dinner. I can barely stay up past midnight these days and I almost did not wake up at a decent hour this morning because I was so tired, even thought I slept more than 8 hours! Mental drain. Admittedly, I have not been very productive at work so I believe my lethargy will worsen as the weeks progress

Typical of my short attention span, the only thing I can think of right now is buying lip gloss and redoing my apartment furnishings. (The fact that I am writing this post shows how much I am not paying attention to the work that urgently needs to be completed!)

I buy a new stock of lip cosmetics at the start of every season, only because I pay unnecessary attention to print ads and all the nice little booklets Sephora (devil spawn of the LVMH conglomerate) sends to me. I am a sucker for good advertising (blame my father). No woman actually finishes using her lipstick and lip gloss before she buys new ones. She buys new ones because she can. I buy new ones because I have a shopping problem. I will only defend myself by saying I do not buy the same colours over and over again like most people do. Also, I do not buy and try every new hot brand out there. I'm quite brand loyal and I can tell you not all beauty companies manage to make good cosmetics even though they are willing to charge you exorbitant prices for them. Sometimes I find it shocking that I'm so obsessed with lipstick and lip gloss even thought I don't wear cosmetics on the rest of my face. Is there a medical term for this?

Did you know that, strictly for hygiene purposes, lipstick only has a lifespan of about two to three years and lip gloss a little less than two years. Also, no expiration dated is ever printed on cosmetics. Scam, scam, scam!

But the bigger project on my mind is the overhaul of the decor of my apartment. Honestly, it was never decorated in the first place. I still live in the same place I moved into in my senior year of college and as I made salaried wages, I spent it on everything but the apartment. The place is a mess, and stockpiles of my bags, shoes and premium jeans are everywhere. I made some progress in getting my footwear collection organised but it has since stalled when work took a turn for the busy. In short the place needs organising and decorating. While I remain enthusiastic and hopeful that I can this done, I believe I need a lot of help. I don't even know where to begin.

I can only say that I pan to go to one place and buy everything, and I don't plan to spend too much money on this home project because my attention span is short, and as with everything else that I buy, I need stuff to be changed and in constant rotation. I would like to plonk down money on one good solid couch, and a good wool or cashmere throw. Everything else needs to be updated once in a while.

I am thinking Target, and if I get desperate, I will go to IKEA. Throw me some suggestions. I like to buy online as much as possible (so that I can sneak all this in while at work). Help!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's ur colour scheme?

Cherry Junkie said...

I have a cappuccino carpet (light brown), and flesh tone walls (with golden-orange-sherbet undertones), and all the door trims are white. The entire bathroom is white. I think the bathroom and kitchen are fine. They don’t have a lot of space for décor anyway. The rest of the place needs work!

I like splashes or red and/or purple. in general, I would like to keep everything quite neutral.

When you find something, if online, send me the link to buy it. If in KL, I can get it when I come home for the wedding(s).

I am willing to indulge in only ONE expensive item; everything else needs to be price friendly. Think IKEA pricing, the quality should be around there too :)

Thanks dah-ling!

red.door.read said...

lipgloss mends hearts.